– Selected for 25 years of International Conference on Supercomputing. An Overview of the PTRAN Analysis System for Multiprocessing. Fran Allen, Michael Burke, Philippe Charles, Ron Cytron, Jeanne Ferrante. August 2014.
– ACM SIGPLAN Distinguished Service Award, June 2008.
– ACM Distinguished Scientist, November 2007.
– ACM SIGPLAN selection of 50 papers from 20 years of PLDI (1979-1999), based on impact and technical excellence, included: Michael Burke and Ron Cytron. Interprocedural Analysis and Parallelization. Retrospective and original 1986 paper. 20 Years of the ACM SIGPLAN Conference on PLDI, 1979-1999, A Selection. SIGPLAN Notices, April 2004.
– IBM Research Science Accomplishment for Stack Allocation and Synchronization Elimination for Java Using Escape Analysis, 2008.
– IBM Invention Achievement Award, Second Plateau, September 2007.
– IBM Research Division Technical Group Award, alphaWorks Emerging Technologies Toolkit Release of the XML Enhancements for Java (XJ) Programming Language, December 2005.
– IBM Research Division Award, For Contributions to Gemstone Fortran Development, November 1993.
– Janet Fabri Award for an Outstanding Thesis in Computer Science, NYU, 1983.