– Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, June 2007 – present.
– Chair, ACM SIGPLAN, July 2003 – June 2005.
Led the restructuring of membership options, benefits, and costs to improve the quality of membership and to correct a trend of annual deficits. We improved ACM DL services for members. We issued the first annual SIGPLAN CDs. We altered the SIGPLAN by-laws with respect to the SIGPLAN election slate, to improve continuity of EC membership. I chaired open SIGPLAN meetings at PLDI 2004 and PLDI 2005.
– Vice Chair, ACM SIGPLAN, July 2001 – June 2003.
Vice Chair is responsible for approving and tracking all conferences and workshops sponsored or endorsed by SIGPLAN, including final budget review.
– Member-at-Large of ACM SIGPLAN Executive Committee, July 1997- June 2001.
– Past Chair, ACM SIGPLAN, July 2005 – June 2007.
– Instituted the ACM SIGPLAN Programming Languages Software Award, 2009. Authored proposal for award, accepted by ACM and SIGPLAN Executive Committees.
– Chaired numerous SIGPLAN award/recognition committees.
– Member-at-Large, ACM SIG Governing Board Executive Committee, July 2004 – June 2006. Advisor to Large SIGs.
– General Chair, ACM SIGPLAN 2001 Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI), Snowbird, Utah, June 18-22, 2001.
– Program Chair, ACM SIGPLAN PLDI 1996, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 22-24, 1996.
– Program Committee Member, ACM SIGPLAN PLDI 1990, 1995, 2011.
– Workshops chaired:
Co-Chair, Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) SPLASH workshop, October 27, 2015, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Co-Chair, Second Annual Concurrent Collections (CnC) workshop, co-located with LCPC, October 6, 2010, Rice University, Houston, Texas.
Co-Chair, Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) OOPSLA workshop, October 22-23, 2006, Portland, Oregon.
Chair, Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) OOPSLA workshop, October 24, 2004, Vancouver, Canada.
Chair, Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) OOPSLA workshop, October 27, 2003, Anaheim, California.
The above ETX OOPSLA workshops placed an open call for papers and received 30-50 submissions: 16-20 were accepted for presentation. About 50 invitees and 20 walk-ins attended each.
– SIGPLAN Conference Steering Committee Memberships:
SIGPLAN PLDI: July 2001 – June 2009. Chair, July 2007 – June 2009.
SIGPLAN POPL (Principles of Programming Languages): July 2001 – June 2007.
SIGPLAN OOPSLA (Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications): July 2001 – June 2005.
– Workshop Steering Committee Memberships:
Concurrent Collections (CnC) (2010-2013)
– Workshop organizing committees:
Fourth Annual Concurrent Collections (CnC) workshop, December 6-7, 2012, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Third Annual Concurrent Collections (CnC) workshop, co-located with LCPC, September 7, 2011, Colorado State University.
Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) OOPSLA workshop, October 16-17, 2005, San Diego, California.
Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) ETAPS workshop, March 2004, Barcelona, Spain.
– Other Program Committees: Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT) 2017; IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) 2013, 2014; Eclipse Technology eXchange (ETX) Workshop 2003-2006 (OOPSLA), 2004 (ETAPS), 2014-2015 (SPLASH); Concurrent Collections (CnC) Workshop 2010-2013.
– Publications Chair, Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT) 2011, Galveston Island, Texas, October 2011.
– Other Conference meetings co-chaired:
Research Session (panel sessions and invited speakers), EclipseCon, March 2005, Burlingame, California.
Co-chair, Research Session, roundtable format, EclipseCon, February 2004, Anaheim, California.
Eclipse Reception/Poster Session, OOPSLA 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.
Eclipse Reception/Poster Session, ICSE, May 8, 2004, Portland, Oregon.
More than 300 attended the above OOPSLA and ICSE receptions/poster sessions. 20-30 posters were presented.
– Industrial Panel Chair, ACM SIGPLAN PLDI 1999, Atlanta, Georgia, May 1-4, 1999. Session title: “Trends in the Future of Industrial Computing.”
– Member, ACM Scholars’ Advisory Group on electronic publication, 1994.